Active Learning

Word cloud created on WordClouds.com

What is Active Learning?

Active learning moves teachers away from being lecturers to passive listeners and more like facilitators of engaging learning experiences. Active learning helps put students in charge of their learning with hands on activities. We know that the days of lecturing passive students are long gone, or at least they should be. Students that are active in meaningful activities will be more engaged, more motivated, and end up learning and retaining more. Here are just some examples of teaching strategies that prioritize active learning:
  • Think Pair Share
  • Partner and group games
  • Debates
  • Roleplaying
  • Self-reflection 
  • Group projects
  • Science labs
  • STEM projects
  • Hands on learning /manipulatives
  • Genius Hour / passion projects
  • Research projects
  • Field trips
  • Whole body learning
  • Multi-sensory learning

My Experiences with Active Learning

As an early childhood educator, I've been trained to focus on developmentally appropriate practice. I've always believed that young children learn through hands-on experiences, movement, choice and interest based learning. My goal is to keep my literacy and math mini-lessons between 5 and 10 minutes long. Also, I teach many concepts through song and dance (look up HeidiSongs if you're interested in one example) and we have a lot of movement breaks in my classroom. Active learning is not just about getting up and moving though. We use as many hands on activities as possible and I try to use think/pair/share in all of my lessons, usually as a warm up. I also have students complete partner and group games. Sometimes this is as simple as a card game in math or a phonics sort, but sometimes they are teamed up to complete a STEM challenge. I also keep my students active by using technology. For example, after they complete a STEM challenge, I may have students photograph and voice record their reflections through Seesaw, sharing with me as well as their parents. In my kindergarten classroom I also provide play time, which might be the most active learning experience of all. This is their chance to truly make their own choices, play and collaborate with peers, create social stories in the dramatic play area, be creative, be engineers, and explore. Overall, I really strive to include active learning practices in my classroom. This is not always easy because these activities sometimes require more material set up and prep. However, I have found active learning be the best way to keep my students engaged and active in their learning.

Exploring Active Learning

This week in my Edu776 class, I explored an example of active learning in the form of a lesson on the American Revolution. My partner and I created a Padlet to summarize our learning and reflections. I was able to check out the wonderful interactive projects created by Ms. Malhiot's elementary students. These interactive projects included QR codes so viewers could scan and hear the Audioboom recordings students had done to share historical facts and stories about the American revolution. Students also took photos, and sometimes dressed up, to put themselves into the PicCollages they made. This was a great example of active learning. Every project was unique and clearly created with enthusiasm by each student. It was wonderful to hear each student's own voice while viewing the projects. Please check out the Padlet my partner and I created to check it out for yourself.

Made with Padlet

Additional Resources


Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience with active learning. As the educator of the "littles" I was happy to read that you keep your lessons short, active, and with movement! Helping to develop these learning strategies in the early grades can only strengthen the students' toolbox of strategies when they get older!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura! I love your examples for active learning. I am an early childhood teacher as well. I will for sure look into the Heidisongs and the voice recorded reflection. I think the reflection is such a wonderful idea. I have been trying to learn more about incorporating technology in my classroom and I think this will be a great addition! I am a Montessori teacher and all of our materials are hands-on so we have a similar classroom environment. I have also been working on learning more about STEM. Thank you so much for your blog entry. I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, Thanks for listing active learning strategies. I use Think/Pair/Share, but I always think of active learning as more hands on. I thinks it great how you keep your little ones moving and learning. The HeidiSongs site is a great resource. I'm going to share it with my Kindergarten teachers! Music is a great tool to use when teaching. I worked with a 4th grade teacher who found a simile-metaphor video that she used with her kids and this is the 2nd year that my incoming 5th graders have asked me to play it. I use School House Rock a lot, too, because the songs are catchy and the students remember the concept!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Triple E Framework

What does it take to be private in today's online world?

Learning more about Genius Hour