All About Me

Hello, everyone! My name is Laura Rzewnicki and I'm a first grade teacher at a public school in Northbrook. This blog used to be titled "Techie in Kindergarten" but since I now teach first grade I decided to change it to "Techie in Primary."

I have been teaching at the primary level for 13 years. I've always wanted to be a teacher and consider myself a lifelong learner. I'm really passionate about providing developmentally appropriate learning experiences to young children and fostering a love of literacy in all. A few years back I started teaching in a 1:1 device setting and that inspired a love of teaching with technology (which is sometimes easier said than done with kindergartners and first graders). I'm really excited to be taking my ninth educational technology class at Dominican University. I started this journey with the intention of getting my technology specialist endorsement but decided to keep going and earn a masters degree. I have my credentials as an early childhood educator and I also have my reading specialist degree. I am an Apple Teacher, a Seesaw Ambassador and a Flipgrid certified educator. 

When I'm not teaching I enjoy reading, gardening, cooking, and traveling. Thanks to the pandemic, some of these hobbies flourished while some of them suffered. I look forward to traveling in 2022 with a trip to NYC happening soon. 
 
As you can see, you can follow me on Twitter @MsRzewnicki. I use my Twitter as a professional resource and have been encouraged by my school district to use it as a way to share what I'm doing in the classroom with colleagues and families. I am also on Facebook and while I keep things pretty private and personal on there I do use it participate in groups for teachers, like the Seesaw for teachers group and the Bridges math curriculum group. I've found both of these to be useful! 

Comments

  1. Hi Laura!

    I co-teach in a first grade bilingual classroom during their reading class. In the morning I am with my 7th grade LA resource classroom and then head over to 1st grade. It is quite a difference. I walk into my 1st grade class and feel like a celebrity. They are so excited to see me! I know my 7th graders enjoy working with me (and I love being their teacher), but those primary students really know how to make you feel improtant.

    You seem to have a good grasp on technology in your classroom. I do utilize Google classroom often and implement different online apps, but know I have so much more to learn. I think this class will be beneficial to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila,
      The excitement and love of learning is definitely one reason I love teaching in the primary grades. That enthusiasm is contagious!

      Delete
  2. Hello Laura,

    I appreciate the creative name that you have applied to your course blog! First grade is a very busy and pivotal time in education. It is awesome to learn more about your professional experiences, and how you are making an impact at the primary level! As an educator, I value the importance of being a lifelong learner and completely relate to you. I haven't stopped learning since I graduated with my undergraduate degree. To that end, I enjoy applying my knowledge that I acquire in my coursework and professional studies to my classroom.

    I also intended only to obtain the Technology Specialist endorsement. Since I already had a masters, and am currently getting another Masters in Educational Administration, I wasn't considering finishing with another degree at Dominican. However, I only need two more classes, so I figured the degree would be worth it.

    I wish you continued success in your professional and educational endeavors! I look forward to collaborating with you throughout this course.

    Have a great week!

    Sincerely,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,

    Nice to meet you! I followed similar path with elevating to Master's Degree. I am also trying to incorporate some technology with my primary grades. I work in K-5 EL setting, as a resource teacher. Unfortunately not all the options that are available to classroom teachers can be used with us. So, I am looking forward to learning and getting some new ideas in this course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nataliya,

      You bring up a good point that there is often a disconnection between classroom teachers and resource teachers in terms of tech tools. Finding a way to smoothly connect the two settings would be a great goal for a tech team.

      Delete
    2. Hi Laura,

      It was so nice getting to know you through your blog! I am also a first grade teacher as well, and I absolutely love this age group. Being a lifelong learner and having a growth mindset is so important when it comes to the field of education.I am glad you kept going to earn that masters, good for you!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Laura,

    It was so nice getting to know you through your blog! I am also a first grade teacher as well, and I absolutely love this age group. Being a lifelong learner and having a growth mindset is so important when it comes to the field of education.I am glad you kept going to earn that masters, good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura,

    I also am taking my last course to obtain my masters in education. First I took classes to obtain my EL endorsement then I also elevated to get the masters. I think I may continue the tech classes to earn the tech specialist endorsement as well. Your class sounds awesome with lots of fun tech for the students to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe, I definitely have gained a lot from my tech classes. If you haven't taken the STEM one, I highly recommend it. Good luck!

      Delete
  6. Great to see you again, Laura. I love the versatility with blogs where you can change the name and theme to fit ever-evolving roles in education. I also was happy to read that your school district recognizes the power of Twitter. Looking forward to learning with you again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laura,
    Wow... nine classes! That's crazy impressive. I consider myself a lifelong learner too. I always tell my students that one of the reasons I go back to school is because I want them to see how much I value education too... and that just like they go to school and do their school work I do it too.
    I also think your attitude about wanting to foster a love for reading is so important. Our students need that now more than ever, so I believe they are so lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment