Acceptable Use Policies in Schools
![]() |
| "student_ipad_school - 131" by flickingerbrad is marked with CC BY 2.0. |
What Are Acceptable Use Policies?
An acceptable use policy, or AUP, is an agreement between students and their school district that outlines how students should stay safe while learning online. AUPs are also sometimes called responsible use policies or responsible use expectations. The purpose of these documents is to outline how the district's internet and devices should be utilized by students. They may also be considered codes of conduct. If students do not follow AUPs there may be consequences ranging from loss of privileges to removal of devices. The tone of a AUP is critical in conveying how a school district trusts its student body and embraces digital learning. Student-centered language makes students assume responsibility for their actions, for example "I will not eat or drink while using technology." This story from the Office of Educational Technology shows how Boston Public Schools changed the wording of their AUP to be more student-centered. I especially appreciated these tips shared in the story:
- "If students are supposed to comply with the AUP, it is critical that they understand what the policy stipulate. Making the document student-centered is the first step in that process."
- "Having a trained crew of cyber safety mentors who can be deployed into classrooms is an effective way to deliver the AUP message."
A Closer Look At My School District's AUP
Instead of calling it an Acceptable Use Policy, my school district uses the term Responsible Use Expectations and they have separate guidelines for grades K-2, 3-5, and the junior high. I appreciate how these expectations use student-centered language. The expectations are simple, straight forward, and they focus on what students should be doing with their devices, instead of a list of don'ts. I also like how the expectations are organized by our district's motto: be Respectful, Be Safe, Be a Learner.
One suggestion I have would be to add explicit examples for a few of the expectations, for example one states: "I will tell an adult when something online makes me uncomfortable." I think we could give some examples, like experiencing unkind comments from peers, seeing scary or inappropriate images, strangers asking for information, or coming across unknown websites. I think that when revisions are made, they should be done through a group of administrators, teachers, and students. This way, the key players of digital learning (teachers and students) will have a voice and agency over the policies.
Check out District 28's Responsible Use Expectations here

Fantastic post tying together AUP's and school cyber-safety. It would be interesting to have the school's perspective on changes to risk management and their AUP based on the incident you mentioned. I also loved your suggestion about adding real-world examples of each of the "do's" and "don'ts"- this, alone, could make a dramatic impact on student behavior.
ReplyDeleteLaura,
ReplyDeleteI think its really great that your district allows students and teachers to participate in the AUP. When they are more involved in making the expectations, I think they will understand it better and enforce it more. I also love how they use student friendly language and "I will" statements. This will for sure allow students to better understand what is expected of them.
Hello Laura,
ReplyDeleteI hope you had a great weekend!
I appreciate your outline on the working components of Acceptable Use Policies for school districts. While each document is primarily policy driven and often times universal, there are many important working parts to the document, just as you referenced. Amongst those items include how to stay safe while utilizing the district’s network and systems; appropriate and acceptable online behavior; and how devices should be utilized that are owned by the district. Other policies also cover the Bring Your Own Device program protocols and procedures.
It is important to establish an Acceptable Use Policy that is student-centered. This is something that is incredibly important that you mentioned. However, there are such few policies that are student driven when it comes to the AUP. The reason for this is due to the fact that it is tied to Board Policy. Such policies are curated from the Illinois Association of School Boards Press Plus subscriptions for school districts. Therefore, establishing a student-centered Device Handbook and/or policies that clearly utilize “I” statements like you mentioned is a great way to build upon the Acceptable Use Policy within school districts.
I enjoyed reading your discussion post. You did a phenomenal job with breaking down the working parts of the Acceptable Use Policy, and ways in which they can be reimagined to be more student-centered. Exceptional work!
Have a great rest of your day!
Sincerely,
Ryan Whitcomb
Hi Ryan, thanks for that info about the Illinois Association of School Boards Pre Plus subscriptions. This is something I hadn't looked into yet!
DeleteHi!
ReplyDeleteExcellent post! It was really interesting to hear about how you district structures its Responsible Use Expectations -- it is very different than the way mine does it! I had not expected there to be such a huge difference between neighboring districts! How interesting. I wonder if as the years go by a "best practice" for these will start to emerge and slowly districts will start to move toward Responsible Use Expectations. A lot of food for thought, certainly!
Hi Trinity,
DeleteI was pleasantly surprised as well! Hopefully more districts will adapt to RUPs/RUEs moving forward.