Triple E Framework

What is Triple E?

The Triple E Framework was created by Professor Liz Kolb at the University of Michigan in 2011. The goal of the framework was to address the need for research based information about teaching with technology. The focus of the Triple E Framework is on effective teaching practices and learning outcomes, not just using fancy technology. A lot of research went into the development of this framework. For example, the research  explored the importance of active engagement, quality vs. quantity, the social aspect, and the importance of instructional strategies and authentic contexts. You can read more about the research at the Triple E Framework website here.

This framework will help teachers assess if technology use is going to help students reach the learning targets. The E's stand for: Engage, Enhance, and Extend. Does the technology engage the students, for example motivate students and allow for active learning opportunities?  Does the technology enhance the learning, for example allow students to engage in a deeper understanding or do something that traditional tools wouldn't allow? Finally, does the technology extend the learning, for example does it bridge school learning with home or relate to life outside of school? Again, high quality teaching practices play a huge role in this framework. Through my research I really appreciated the author's focus on instructional strategies. Please see the image below for more specific examples of each E, and also please note the instructional strategies listed as well!


Using the Triple E Framework

The Triple E Framework website has so many useful tools. I love that they not only have a rubric for evaluating your lessons, they offer a lesson planning template, an app evaluation rubric, and a coaching tool as well! In order to be a purposeful educator, we need to study our tech tools carefully and assess if they are not only worthwhile, but that they actually engage, enhance, and extend learning for our students. I would use the lesson planning template, to prepare for my use of technology with my students. 

Here are some of the components to planning with a Triple E Framework in mind:
  • What are the content specific goals?
  • What are the technology-based goals?
  • How will technology help student meet the learning goals?
  • What features of the tech can bring engagement?
    • Teaching strategies used?
  • What features of the tech can bring enhancement?
    • Teaching strategies used?
  • What features of the tech can extend the learning goals?
    • Teaching strategies used?
  • How will you assess? 
By going through this process teachers can use technology for maximum motivation and learning for their students.

Self-Evaluation

I love the simplicity yet effectiveness of the Triple E Framework! I was excited to start evaluating my lessons, however I have just started back at school and we have not fully used our 1:1 devices yet. However, I was able to use the Triple E Framework and reflect on the lessons within which I incorporated technology last year. Please take a look at the evaluation rubric below.


The lesson that I assessed with the Triple E Framework was a Science activity in our ecosystems unit. Our learning goal was to identify living and non-living things. Students were asked to use the Clips app to capture living and non-living things on our playground and school campus area. Students not only used images but voice recording as well (a great feature of the Clips app), and then they posted their finished products on Seesaw in order to share with peers and families.

  1. Engagement in the learning
    • Less distraction? 1=Somewhat
    • Motivating? 2=Yes
    • Shift from passive to active? 2=Yes
    • Reasoning behind points: Students were sometimes distracted, being outdoors in the playground during this activity. However, they were so highly motivated by actively using their technology outdoors that all children were engaged. The shift from passive to active learning definitely occurred. All students used the appropriate app for the entire time, actively capturing their living and non-living things. 
  2. Enhancement of the learning goals
    • Helps develop deeper thinking? 2=Somewhat
    • Creates supports? 2=Yes
    • Paths for students to show their learning? 2=Yes
    • Reasoning behind points: The tech use did allow for deeper thinking because students had to verbalize their thinking "Grass is a living thing, grass grows!" which would not have occurred if we had done a cut and paste sort as our activity. Technology also allowed supports because students who were struggling could choose a small amount of objects to classify, and those that needed the challenge, could do more and created longer videos. Tech also allowed for students to show their learning because they created a product that included their own speech that explained their thinking. 
  3. Extending the learning goals
    • Opportunities to learn outside school? 1=Somewhat
    • Creates bridge between school and life? 2=Yes
    • Allows students to build authentic life skills? 1=Somewhat
    • Reasoning behind points: I thought that this activity bridged school with life because we shared our products on the Seesaw app, which connects us with peers and shares with family members as well. The authentic life skills that were built during this activity were safe handling of devices outdoors and taking photos with the camera. I consider these to be life skills in this modern age, but I'd love to know what others think! 

Total points: 15/18

Reading the Results:

  • 14­-18 Points: Exceptional connection 
  • 10-­13 Points: Strong connection
  • 7-­9 Points: Average connection (re­evaluate does it enhance &/or extend learning goals in significant way)
  • 6 Points or below: Low connection (possibly rethink if technology should be used at all)
I was very happy with this science activity last year and I was happy that the Triple E Framework indicates this would be an exceptional connection. I think that this experience was a lot more motivating and meaningful than just completing a worksheet. I know that I have a lot more work to do as a kindergarten teacher with 1:1 devices. I plan on continuing to use this Framework and the lesson planning template to determine if technology use is going to engage, enhance, and extend the learning in my classroom. 


Resources


Comments

  1. Hi Laura! I really appreciate your thorough explanation of the Triple E and how it can be used in the classroom. It's great to hear that their website has lots of resources for teachers and I will definitely check it out!

    The lesson you picked to self-evaluate was a great example of how little ones can be meaningfully engaged with technology. I went back to the rubric to further read about "allowing students to build authentic life skills" and I noticed that it says "soft skills." I almost missed it too! I wonder then if the point of this was to reflect on the social-emotional skills that are enhanced with technology in the lesson. From the details you provided it sounds like communication and collaboration were encouraged, so soft skills were definitely built!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input, Sophia! I agree, and I think "soft skills" could cover a variety of things, depending on your point of view!

      Delete
  2. Laura this is a terrific blog post. I appreciated the well thought-out explanation of your scores and the additional examples (i.e. grass grows!). I also enjoyed hearing that you not only liked the framework but were happy at the simplicity of it. This sounds like a great lesson for the littles. I'm so happy to hear you'll apply Triple E to future lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That score is awesome! Seems that you are well on your way to effectively using technology in the classroom. I also enjoy reading how different grade level teacher incorporate these technologies. As a high school teacher, my students already come with a pretty high proficiency of technology. It amazing how our younger grades get this head start to use technology to learn in a thoughtful way from the start.

    You mentioned in enhancement portion how the technology was able to support student who were struggling. Its great that the technology allows students to complete things on their level, for example the length of the recordings your students were making. I especially like the added challenge for students who are exceeding by making a longer project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment